Sunday, August 23, 2009

Recipes

Recipe for a Late-Night Meal

As a child, I often took advantage of my dad. I've told this story many times. When I had to start attending school, I refused to go. As a way to appease me, my dad took me to Hamburger Stand everyday. Hamburger Stand was like a generic White Castle if you can believe that. My dad took me there every day and bought me a hamburger as a bribe to go to school and, even after I was okay with going to school, I still let him take me on this daily trip.

When I was in second grade, we began another ritual. The family was already asleep when I'd get up in the middle of the night and declare I was hungry. Back in those days, we didn't have Totito Pizza Rolls or cans of Chef Boyardee readily available in our household. Instead, my dad made a meal out of ginger, salt, and water.

To prepare, take a piece of ginger root and peel it. Because ginger is strong, a one-inch thick piece may be enough. Pour some salt onto a plate. Get a bowl of rice and add water to it. To eat, simply dip the ginger root into the salt. Follow this with a spoonful of rice and water.

Recipe for a Bad Hmong Girl

Cut your hair. Dye it. Watch TV until your vision becomes blurred. Tune out Mom and Dad. Listen to Alanis Morrisette. Work at Taco Bell, McDonald's, anywhere but the teb. Let people think you hate Hmong guys. Keep your temper short. Long tempers equal forced early marriages. Burn the rice. Wake up late. Don't kill a chicken. For God's sakes, don't kill a chicken. Eat before the men. Threaten to call cops on bad parents. Learn French. Watch foreign films. Bake cakes. Embrace sass. Dream. Move. Run away.

Recipe for Collecting Memories

1. Take a photo and ask yourself: Why didn't you look at the camera? Where is your sister? Why are there no photos of you and your mother that day? How long will it be until you wear Hmong clothes again?

2. Go to the airport. Pick up the aunt whom you have never met. Have faith you will know each other immediately. See? She has your mother's face.

3. Take a pen. Put it in your left hand. Attempt to write your father's name. Discover how hard it is to forge his simple signature.

Recipe for a Dream

Sleep.

No comments: